Posts from May 2007
I receive email occasionally. Most emails come from mothers who have been estranged by their adult kids. Much less often, maybe twice a year, I get an email from someone who has estranged their mother or both parents. (I rarely get emails from men who are fathers or sons. I may have received two emails from men in six years.) Invariably the reaction to my website and blog is different for mothers who have been estranged by their kids from the reaction of adult kids who have estranged their parents. (I can't recall EVER getting an email from a parent who has estranged themselves from their kids.) I've written on the baggage we all carry previously. I made a series of posts about baggage which can be found in the Creative Expressions category (see link in side bar).
- On FayObserver.com (The Fayetteville Observer), May 17, 2007: Celebrate Parents' Day by Steven R. Edelman
- Written by a father for his son, Shane, from whom he had been estranged for a time. Posted on June 18, 1995: Father's Day
- In the archive of This American Life, Chicago Public Radio: 26: Father's Day '96. Available for download.
- On StarPulse.com, May 7, 2007: Adam Grenier makes a movie about search for dad
- A post on A Feast of Crumbs: Saturday Night Surprise, October 16, 2006
- A post from The Word of Todd, A Non-Prophet Prophet: It Gets to Me Every Single Time, August 5, 2006
My original title for this snippet, "Mummies in the news!", made me squeamish but I went ahead and used it anyway. For those who are connected in real life to this sort of story, it must be anything but funny. It's the sort of story that is funny if it is fiction and on Monty Python. But not so funny if it is you or your mother who ends up mummified on a couch for years and the subject of international news.
On LATimes.com: Spain: Home Buyer Finds Mummifed Guest, May 16, 2007
Reminds me of what happened with Laura Schlessinger's mum: On Smoking Gun
And then there was the mother at the Bates Motel in Psycho.
How isolated some people become! Not to be noticed as not among the living for months or years? Sitting mummified on a couch for years? Years?
Ginny (who hopes that it is a comfortable couch if I have to sit there for years!)
With apologies to those who find this wildly inappropriate
- On AskMetafilter: How to be kind but firm with an estranged parent who wants more than I am willing to give, March 15, 2007
- On top40: The Story Behind "Confessions of a Broken Heart (Daughter to Father)"
- Go On, Make Peace with Dad by Will Kern. Originally published on June 17, 2001.
- On FindArticles.com: Healing Father-Son Relationship by Adeyemi Bandele, June 1999
- On blogcritics.org: How do the fatherless celebrate Father's Day, by Cherryl Aldave, June 19, 2005
There's a year till the next one but before I started looking for Father's Day posts, I looked one more time for posts on Mother's Day and found this thread:
On SoberRecovery.com, a post and responses: Mother's Day
(Mother's Day Postsecrets will be up till the next week of secrets are posted on Sunday, May 20.)
Only Human: A real son's tribute to real moms, by Michael Riley, May 11, 2007 on Asbury Park Press
- Finding Mom's Right Gift by Elizabeth Lardie, May 8, 2007, The Times Record online
- Mars Needs Moms on Jim Hill Media. Only remotely connected to estrangement but funny nugget of mother-related stuff.
- CamelsbackandForth: Early Late Stories, May 10, 2007
- InsideToronto.com - On The Guardian: Mother's Day Coping Tips for the Bereaved, May 10, 2007
- On ehow.com: How to Mend Fences with Mom on Mother's Day
- On kcbx.net: History of Mother's Day - ". . . to obliterate family estrangement . . . "
- On ChristianityToday: When Mother's Day Is Hard - Taking solace in Scripture's difficult and unsentimental image of motherhood. By Jenell Williams Paris, May 1, 2004
- How do you handle Mother's day if you're estranged? On Yahoo Answers, April 2007
- Time's Fool: Mother's Day: Not Everyone Celebrates, May 4, 2007
- On Salon.com: The other woman - When my mom split up with my not-mom, Mother's Day lost its charm.By Molly Hennessy-Fiske, May 10, 2001
- Honoring those who have mothered us Barbara Child, March 5, 2007
- Life Without Borders: Mother's Day, May 14, 2006
- The Occasional Editorialist: Rewarding Family for Their Quirks, March 28, 2007
- "Mother's Day", a Meditation by Lianne Olive Hennig
- On iVillage, Garden Web: Estrangement from Adult Child, July 25, 2006 to April 20,2007 (or possibly more recent date)
- Love and Support Needed, May 9, 2005
- Allied: I am a mother, May 9, 2005